JOHOR BAHRU, Jun 19 -The Johor government plans to build a dedicated pedestrian walkway on the Johor Causeway to Woodlands in Singapore as a safety measure due to severe traffic congestion.
State Public Works, Infrastructure and Transportation Committee chairman Mohd Solihan Badri said the state government sees a need for such a walkway after finding that many are taking the risk of crossing over by foot, especially during peak hours, in a bid to beat traffic congestion.
“This is at a proposal stage. With the walkway, we can solve this safety issue as we found many bus passengers are encroaching the routes used by vehicles to beat traffic before continuing their journey by public transport when they reach the other (Singapore) side,” he told reporters after visiting the walkway proposed site at the Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) Complex, here yesterday.
He said last year, an estimated 215,000 people used the Johor Causeway to cross over (one way), of which 60 percent were pedestrians.
“Consultants are preparing a detailed proposal for the state government to study and it should be ready in about two or three weeks,” he said.
The 1.2 kilometre long walkway will be built on the existing motorcycle lane on both sides of the causeway and will be roofed.
The project is expected to cost about RM15 million, Mohd Solihan said.Source: Bernama